Saturday, October 11, 2008

Third update today!

I'm going through a poetry writing phases at the moment, so expect to see a lot more in the vein of the last two posts. I've got a much longer poem I'm working on at the moment which tells an entire story. It's got kind of a Poe/Lovecraft vibe to it, at least that's what I'm going for. Here's a preview of the first two verses:

I think that I was born to be a famous man of science
For all throughout my youth, I'd kept not friend nor fond alliance
No, only in the natural laws could I well-found reliance
For men betrayed
And women strayed
And love had no appliance

Unto the neurological field did I give devotion
For I was fascinated by what others called "emotion"
And thought and memory were mysteries like deepest ocean
I planned to be
The one to see
The method to their motion


I picked the meter and a-a-a-b-b-a rhyming pattern pretty much at random. I'm also trying to be very strict with myself by trying to only use words that naturally work with the poem's basic pattern. It slows me down tremendously but I feel it results in a much more graceful finished product.

No comments: